Pet Adoption Checklist
Adopting a pet is always an exciting time, but it can come with a lot of questions. Once you have met the right pet for you and your family, you are going to need a few things before you welcome your new pet home. Here is a quick checklist for new pet parents!
- Quality Foods – it is important that you feed your pet quality foods to keep them healthy. We recommend transitioning your new pet from the food they ate at the shelter or rescue to something healthy for the long term. You don’t want to switch them too quickly as it can cause stomach issues. Talk to your vet about the best way to do this. Here are guides to help you choose food for your new dog or cat.
- Collar, Tags, and Leash – When you’re ready to bring your new pet home, you should be sure to have a collar, name tags, and a leash. Get your pet used to a collar and tags early on so they don’t have issues when they need to wear them. You can get a name tag for your pet that also includes your name, address, and phone number in the event that your pet gets lost.
- Food and Water Bowls – The bowls your pets eat and drink out of are important too. Stainless steel or ceramic, dishwasher safe bowls are the best for preventing bacteria growth. Be sure to wash your pet’s bowls regularly.
- Crate or Carrier – Be sure to get a crate if you are planning on crate or house training a puppy. Make sure that it is big enough for your pet to sit and stand in when they are full grown. If you have adopted a cat or other small animal, be sure to get a carrier to make it easy to transport the pet home and to and from the vet.
- Potty Supplies – All pets go to the bathroom, so you need to be prepared for when they do. Pee pads for training puppies will be helpful in the beginning, but try not to rely on them. You will also need poop bags and a pooper-scooper. For cats, make sure you get a litter box, litter, and a scooper. While your pet is potty training, it might also be wise to get a stain and odor remover for those inevitable accidents.
- Grooming Supplies – most pets need to be bathed and groomed from time to time. For cats and dogs you should get a brush and nail clippers, and while the pet is still young use them often to get them used to it. You will also need pet shampoo for giving them baths.
- Schedule a Vet Visit – Once you have everything ready for your new pet and you get them home, schedule a New Adoption Wellness Appointment. Vets will be able to answer all of your questions about vaccinations, how much to feed your pet, and other questions you might have. If you are curious about the different life stages of your pet, read these about cats and dogs.
For a limited time, Aspen Grove Veterinary Care is offering 20% off New Adoption Wellness Exams. This is where our veterinarians will answer all of your questions and get you and your family on the right path to a happy new life with your pet. Schedule appointment today by calling 970.416.0232 or request an appointment online.