Rattlesnake Bites

Rattle Snake bites

“Grizzly” came in a few days ago after being bitten on his head by a Rattle Snake during his hike in Horsetooth Park. He was in critical condition, but is now stable and enjoying all of the attention he is getting from the staff at Aspen Grove. Below are some life-saving tips to keep in mind when you and your furry friends walk in snake territory.

 If your pet is bitten by a rattlesnake here are some do’s and don’ts.

•  Get everyone away from the snake. It is difficult to identify a snake unless you are an expert. It is not necessary to know what kind of rattlesnake caused the bite.

• Get medical help immediately. Take them to the vet ASAP! Animals with the highest mortality rate are small breed dogs and dogs who did not get medical attention right away. Call your vet en route, so the staff is prepared for you. (Cats survive bites surprising well with immediate medical attention.)

• Keep the pet calm. If possible, carry the animal. The more activity, the more blood circulation, the faster the toxin will spread through the body.

• DO NOT CUT INTO THE BITE.

• DO NOT TRY TO SUCK OUT THE VENOM.

• DO NOT APPLY ICE. (Despite your reflex to treat the swelling, ice will aggravate the problem.)

• DO NOT APPLY HEAT.

• DO NOT APPLY A TOURNIQUET.

• DO NOT GIVE THE ANIMAL ANY MEDICATION.

Back to Blog