Colorado Wildflowers Poisonous to Dogs

purple wildflowers in the Colorado mountains

There is nothing better than getting out in the fresh air with your dog. There are many dog-friendly hiking trails and walking paths in the area with beautiful landscapes and plethoras of Colorado wildflowers. However, not all wildflowers are dog-friendly. Here four poisonous Colorado wildflowers to be on the lookout for this summer.

Larkspur

Blue Larkspur wildflowersThe larkspur flower is recognizable by its long stock and violet to blue colored flowers. They generally grow in open woods and meadows, but many people choose to plant this in their yards. Larkspurs typically bloom in the spring and early summer. If consumed by your dog, they can be deadly. They can cause neuromuscular paralysis in dogs leading to bowel issues, increased salivation, convulsions, and even cardiac failure.

Water Hemlock

White water hemlock flowersWater hemlock is another deadly Colorado wildflower that should be avoided. Consumption of this poisonous plant can cause a mix of symptoms within 20 minutes and can result in death. Symptoms include diarrhea, seizures, tremors, fever, bloating, and respiratory depression. This plant is normally found in wet areas, and dogs usually don’t seek them out to eat. If your pet has consumed one of these flowers, early treatment can be effective.

Death Camas

White Death Cama flowersThe name “Death Cama” speaks for itself. These cream-colored flowers are native to Colorado and bloom between April and July. They usually grow in dry meadows and in mountain forests, so these are something to look out for on a hike. If consumed, this little flower can result in increased salivation, weakness, respiratory difficulty, paralysis, convulsions, coma, and if not treated, death. Quick treatment is key!

Locoweed

Purple locoweed flowersLocoweed poisoning is the most common poisonous plant problem in the Western US. Typically, livestock is the most affected, but it is also common for dogs to get sick from consuming locoweed. Locoweed poisoning would have to occur over several weeks worth of consumption in a dog. The symptoms start off mild but become more severe over time and as consumption increases. Symptoms include loss of appetite, seizures, loss of body control, weight loss, subtle tremors, depression, and heart failure. If not treated promptly, the consumption of locoweed can lead to death.

 

We want you to have fun with your furry friends this summer. Whether you’re hiking the majestic Rocky Mountains or running on some popular trails, pay attention to what your dog decides to munch on. Some plants and flowers are harmless, but these four Colorado wildflowers are deadly. If you fear your pet has consumed one of these, call or bring your dog into Urgent Pet Care as soon as possible!

Back to Blog